Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Carey Price in Tri-Cities for Kolzig’s Charity Golf Event

desert bash 72009

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price returned to where his junior hockey career made him the Habs #1 pick in 2005.

Price was back in town to play in ,Tri-City Americans owner, Olaf Kolzigs and former NHLer Stu Barnes’ “Olie & Stu's Desert Bash”.

The event benefits autism research by raising money for the Carson Kolzig Foundation.

The event brought in $200K through a silent auction, $69K in cash donations and $100K in sponsorship fees.

Talking to NBC affiliate KNDO, Price told the station that he enjoys returning to the area.

"For sure," he said. "I spent four years here and I got really close to a lot of good people. It's almost like a second home to me. I worked really hard for the last few years to get there and Don has really helped me through that.

“It's nice to see your work get rewarded after awhile.”

Price was asked about life in Montreal.

"It's still fun," he said.

"You kind of get starstruck. I'm still young, only 21. You are sitting beside guys and you're like 'whoa! I watched him play on TV,' and stuff. I still get a bit of that."

Retiring ??: Olaf Kolzig talked to the Northwest News-Tribune during the event.

"I went to Toronto to see doctors and was cleared to play," Kolzig said.

"July 1 came around, and I became a free agent. I'm leaning toward retirement, but I'm not going to shut that door yet. But if you ask me today, yes, I'm going to retire."

No comments: