Sunday, June 6, 2010

A pair of autographed Habs pieces for the wall

image

Autographs are always a great collectible. For me personally, I enjoy meeting the player in person and getting a pic or little anecdote to go along with the experience.

Alas, some of the greats have passed on though the years so if you’re after a Doug Harvey, or John Ferguson sig, you’ll likely need to rely on a reputable source.

Continuing my browsing of Montreal Canadiens items of the June Classic Auctions event, I came across a pair of nice combo autograph pieces that highlights the past legends, both living and passed on.

The first is a great autographed lithograph of seven Habs Hall of Famers. Originally a run of 1000 pieces, this is number 0785 of the series. A great panoramic image of Henri and Maurice Richard, Guy Lafleur, Jean Beliveau, Serge Savard, Bernie Geoffrion and Gump Worsley, all signed by the subjects.

Measuring 18 x 39, it would look great framed up on the wall. Bidding was sitting at just over $200 at the time this article was put together. Considering three of the Hall of Famers are no longer with us, it’s a good one to watch.

The next lot is a piece that I can say I have a copy of.

image

This print fist appeared in the summer if 1993. I came across it in The Hockey News that summer, after the Canadiens had won the Stanley Cup. Given it was the pre-internet days, and figuring the chance to get all these autographs together was remote, I purchased one immediately. This framed 2ft x 3 ft poster was I believe limited to 1993 copies, so there are a few out there but it’s the first time I’ve seen one up for auction anywhere.

Marking the 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Cup, it bears the signatures of the Richards, Beliveau, Bob Gainey, Yvan Cournoyer and Patrick Roy.

Unlike my piece, which is safely preserved in it’s shipping tube, this poster comes beautifully framed and double matted. The cost of that alone is probably worth the current bid of $250.

No comments: